#10 Buda: To Bring People to Christ

This week happened, it was good, but it was slow. Video calling my family was fun and was the highlight of my week.

No Photos This Week
This week we had a first lesson with a new investigator named Aldof. He is very kind, but has some interesting Ideas. It was a more difficult lesson, but when we taught about Joseph Smith's first vision and the Book of Mormon, the atmosphere changed. It was really cool. We also had some good lessons with Gyula and Lajos, both of whom are progressing in their faith. We invited two of our investigators to the baptism on Saturday. It was a wonderful service. One of our investigators didn't show, the other came in, and then bailed, it was interesting. 

Our time is limited for finding, especially when we teach 4-5 lessons a week. We had a good amount of conversations with people but it has been more difficult to make those conversations more meaningful and turn those interactions into teaching opportunities. We are going to need to learn how to do that better. I'm not sure what to do. I think I do a good job of simply explaining, bearing testimony, and giving good invitations. Maybe I could be more personal, but that can be hard in Hungarian. I'll have to study preach my gospel more. I think I'm good at being personable with the people I'm teaching, and expressing my love and concern for them, but it's hard in a two minute streeting approach with busy people on their way home from work.

This week's spiritual thought is out of Isaiah 61 and is a prophecy of the Messiah:

"The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord" 

This very scripture was quoted 700 years later by Jesus of Nazareth when in his home town. He announced that he was the promised Messiah. He declared, "This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears," and "all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph’s son?" I've thought a lot about how many people we talk to that may have said "is that not the carpenter?" if they had lived then. A lot of people we talk with, tell us about how great of a teacher Jesus was, but they don't have a concept of what it means that Jesus is "The Christ." If we all truly understood this, Oh how everything would be different. That is why we as missionaries are to "proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord." To simply teach that Jesus is the Christ and help people come unto him.

Elder Morgan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#11 Buda: The Nebraska Connection

#2 Pest: Lo Kolbász! (horse sausage)

#4 Nyíregyháza: Debrecen is a Cool City