#3 Debrecen: This is missions are all about

This week was a full one. Yesterday was zone conference in Budapest. That's why we didn't write yesterday. They had to shift zone meeting to Monday because of a letter from the First Presidency that told us that Elder Cook is coming on October 24th; so everything got bumbed up in preparation for that. We are responsible for food for Elder Cook's visit, so that's a little intimidating.


Last Monday, on my birthday, we had exchanges here in Debrecen with the assistants. Elder Martin and I had a wonderful exchange. We focused on relying on the Spirit. I learned so much from him, and I am sad that my trainer will be going home soon. While on splits we found a good number of new investigators. We also went with the Ockey's to a giant German superstore and had ice cream. That was fun. Elder Martin bought me a birthday cake that night, which was pretty cool. On Tuesday, Elder Martin and I streeted and found a new person to teach. It was like old times!


We also had a fabulous exchange in Szeged on Thursday. Elder Katics and I worked on using the Book of Mormon in finding and we found a new person to teach. While in Szeged I also held a baptismal interview for their 9 year old named Tibor. He will be baptized on the 20th of October. It went really well, and even though he is young he has a good understanding about the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the importance of baptism. It was a wonderful experience.

This week we met with Andrea to help her prepare for her baptism which was on Saturday. We talked about her concerns about how she is the only religious one in her family, and that she is worried about the push back she will receive from them. Despite this she has a really good attitude and a really strong love for the gospel and determination to move forward. Her baptism was absolutely wonderful, and Sunday during her confirmation, the Spirit was very strong. This is what missions are all about.


After church on Sunday we went to the Ockey's and had a really American dinner, roast beef, mashed potatoes, and apple pie for desert. It was great to have beef agian! I haven't had beef for a really long time. Sister Ockey also made me a birthday cake. She is super nice.

We met with a new investigator named Katalin this week, she is an older woman, whose daughter got baptized about 20 years ago and now lives in the states. Last weeks miracle! Apparently her daughter who lives in Tennessee lives in the same ward as Elder Gilson's (my companion in Nyíregyháza) grandparents and uncle, and so Elder Gilson knows Katalin's grandchildren. So once again the world is a very small place, especially in the Church of Jesus Christ. We had lunch with her and we talked for a little while getting to know her. Then we went to a house she owns outside the city and we helped her in her garden and helped her stain some wood on her patio. It was a good meeting of service and making connections. Hopefully next time we can teach her a lesson.

This week we prepared our training for zone conference and I've just been thinking a lot about relying on the Spirit. I think chapter 4 of Preach My Gospel is my favorite but also the one I least understand. I've learned so much about how the Spirit works on my mission, but I've also learned that I know so little about it. It's truly the greatest gift that I've been given in my life from Heavenly besides my Savior and my family.

With much love, Elder Morgan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#11 Buda: The Nebraska Connection

#2 Pest: Lo Kolbász! (horse sausage)

#4 Nyíregyháza: Debrecen is a Cool City