#7 Pest: Fair Weather & The Flu

The last 3 days have been amazing! It's even been a little chilly. On Friday we went streeting at noon and we were wearing sweaters. It feels like April again, but I'm sure the heat will return.

On P-day we went to Gellérts Hegy. (Gellért Hill is a 235 m high hill overlooking the Danube in Budapest, Hungary.) There is a great view of the city from the hill. We went to the mission home and picked up a box of Book of Mormons... and surprise, there was a package for me! It had macaroni and cheese in it, which I ate that night – It had SPAM and peanut butter and lots of other yummy food from home! Thanks Mom!



This is also the last week with President Szabadkai, on Friday, the new president starts. Our mission is changing and it feels like everything is going to be different. I don't know if I'm ready for it, I'm really going to miss the Szabadkais!!

This week has been interesting. I had a pretty intense 48 hour flu this week, and I felt like was dying on Wednesday. After working all day, I took my temperature and found out I was running a fever which explained a lot about why I was feeling the way I was. I told Sister Szabadkai and she made a doctors appointment for me the next day and sent Elder and Sister Russell to drive us to a doctor appointment. I didn't really need to go to the doctor since I have a virus, but Sister Szabadkai said she wanted me to go, so we went. So basically, they said you need to drink lots of water and rest, which wasn't a shocker since I knew that's what I needed to do anyway. Going to the doctor is kind of ridiculous unless you are really dying. Being sick as a missionary is the worst, because I feel lazy and bad about myself. I feel like I need to be out working and instead I'm lying in bed.

Being sick gives you lots of time to think. I thought mostly about how much I love being a missionary and I'm not so sure any more about what I want to do after my mission. So.... I spent entirely too much time thinking about the future... about my major, about my living arrangements, about registering for classes. Basically, my thoughts just snowball and it's kind of scary to think about the future.

We met with a Mo, and Mo has a pretty cool story, we met him on the first day of the transfer. When we were going grocery shopping, Elder Fales decided we needed to talk to this guy on a bike, so we talked to Mo and got his phone number and agreed to meet sometime; basically, we played phone tag for a month and never got a hold of him so we dropped him as a potential investigator. Then two or three weeks ago we found him on the street again and he said he was waiting for our call and gave us his number again. This time we were able to set up with him. Mo is French, his mom is French and his father is Egyptian Arabic, he lived in South Africa for awhile, but now he lives in Budapest. He believes that family life is very important and he wants to be married and have children but his first marriage didn't work because his wife didn't want a family and he is pretty cynical about whether anyone really has a happy marriage and family. We told him there were thousands of "Mormon" Hungarians who were living in happy families and he said, "That's incredible! Hungarians who are happy in families?!" He was amazed and excited to read the Book of Mormon. He said he would come to church next week. It was super cool!

We had cleaning checks with the new senior couple. They gave us money to go have lunch. We went to a little Hungarian kitchen and I had rice with chicken with a creamy mushroom sauce and it was super super good!!

We sacrificed our dinner time on Saturday to go watch the Red Bull Airplane race where they race airplanes through Budapest along the Danube. Mo told us that they do this race every year. They had barges in the middle of the river and these giant inflated balloon towers the planes would fly through them and do tricks. It was super cool, really amazing! 


(YouTube Video here: https://youtu.be/Xvvvv51duVE)

We used some leftover chalk from the sisters who were in our area ages ago, to go to a duna plaze, a mall in our area, to do some chalking. I drew a plan of salvation diagram out of chalk on the sidewalk while Elder Fales streeted people. Then we had to leave early because right across the street from where we were was the headquarters for the church of Scientology in Hungary, and I guess they saw us chalking and they dispatched one of their buff hulk minions to go over to where we were and start handing out cards to people; so then we were streeting people where the Scientologist were streeting people, outside their headquarters, and we were worried that people would think we were Scientologist so we decided it was time to go. We walked past their building on the way to the bus and wow, scientologist are creepy... which is all I can say about that.

Magdi also came to church which is amazing because missionaries have been trying with her for a year now, and she absolutely loved it. Elder Fales went with her to Sunday School and I went with Elder Surdu to teach primary. It was cool! We did sharing time and talk to them about the baptismal covenants and the sacrament prayer. During singing time I thought that I wish I could go to primary every week, singing primary songs I loved as a kid, in Hungarian, was really fun.

We met with Magdi after church for awhile and she told us that the lesson we had with her a few weeks ago changed her life. She said she wants to come to church every week and that she wants to be baptized. She will get baptized next transfer, so we may not get to baptize her, but she has been taught by tons of missionaries over the past year. In fact, she has the missionaries who have taught her sign their names in the front of her Book of Mormon, we put our names in there and I recognized most of the names in there. She has been touched by so many missionaries.

We tracted people in our building and we talked to a family in our building who live part time in Florida and are working right now for U.S. citizenship. The mother of the family is super communist and she talked about how good communism is and how much better everything was under communism. Ok, if you talk to Hungarians who had money during communism they will talk about it positively but then the people who didn't have money during communism will say that is was horrible. This family had money and lived in a nice neighborhood.

I finished the "Miracle of Forgiveness." I'm glad I read it. The last five chapters are the best. It was good book. Everyone should read it once. Now I'm reading the "Great Apostasy," by Talmage. I do read the Book of Mormon too, don't worry, I just like reading books.

Yesterday, was the anniversary of being an endowed member of the church. I'm doing good. I love you all, have fun in Utah, share my love with them.

Love, Morgan elder

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#11 Buda: The Nebraska Connection

#2 Pest: Lo Kolbász! (horse sausage)

#4 Nyíregyháza: Debrecen is a Cool City