#4 Kecskemét: Christmas Spirit

It's been a good week. My wrists are feeling better, they are still a little weak though. Last Monday we went to the állatkert (animal garden, or zoo). It was very cool. They had lions, tigers, goats, and ostriches. The funniest part was that in this Hungarian zoo they displayed the rare North American raccoon. lol!


The rest of the week was filled with lessons, tracking and streeting. On Wednesday we went up to Budapest for zone conference (We are the south-east zone, or area, in the Budapest mission. We meet as a zone for training.) which was focused on teaching youth and the church's new Christmas initiative. (https://www.jezuskrisztusegyhaza.hu/legy-a-vilag-vilagossaga-video-2017) I'm really excited to use it this Christmas initiative to help us find more people to teach and to help others serve during this Christmas season.


A Karácsony időszak is here! We went to a Christmas market in Pest afterward. It was so cool! It's fun to be in Europe at Christmastime, they know how to do Christmas. There is another pic in kecskemét belváros, and though smaller is still full of Christmas Spirit.


We have been teaching lots of our investigators, recent converts and other ward members about indexing. (Entering Family History Sourcing information into Family Search online to help people find their ancestors) Its fun, and I've never done it before.

Last night we had a lesson with two recent converts about the erkölcsi tisztaság (law of chastity, sexual abstinence before marriage and complete fidelity within marriage), and it was very good. It was good for me because I felt like I was able to say a lot in Hungarian. It gave me some more confidence. I just need to be patient with myself, its only been a little less than a month here.

On Sunday we had a Hálaadás (Thanksgiving) ward activity that was organized by the one American return missionary (Mormons refer to missionaries who return from their missions as returned missionaries, this man returned home, and then came back.) who married a Hungarian that is in the ward. It was very tasty. It has been a good week.


You asked me about money and how I'm doing, if I have everything I need. I saw the Christmas box you sent when I was at the mission home, it was really big! I feel like I have everything I need. I bought a tie on Wednesday, and I had to get a backpack for exchanges. It's a really good one for 35$. I'm warm, I have a good coat. We get about 220$ a month, and I think it's good. To answer dad's question, we budget our own money. we spend about 50 dollars a month on bus and train tickets. It's actually quite affordable.

To answer the most important question, chocolate here is also really good, but its all German chocolate. Most brands are either German or English, there are some Hungarian ones. People here complain that all of the bigger businesses and companies are are German, but I guess they are good at economic dominance.

I think my bike is fixed we will see today.

I'm doing good, sure it's not easy, but I'm happy. I love you all! I love you Charlie. Talk to you soon, cant wait to hear from you!

Elder Morgan

P.S. When I tell people that I play the Duda (bagpipes) they are so excited, and always ask if I have them with me. I don't, and I think that is wise, but it always impresses people, its funny.


From Elder Martin's Mission Blog:

We had a thanksgiving lunch after church! The ward prepared it, it was AWESOME. We made pumpkin pie one night (yes, from scratch because they don't sell pumpkin puree or crust in Hungary) and everyone LOVED it. They had turkey, potatoes, Hungarian syrups to put in the drinks, and one of my new favorite food, pickled watermelon rinds (it sounds disgusting, but actually they taste like candy).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#11 Buda: The Nebraska Connection

#2 Pest: Lo Kolbász! (horse sausage)

#4 Nyíregyháza: Debrecen is a Cool City