#2 MTC: The Days Are Long but the Weeks Fly By

They say that the first few days at the MTC (Wednesday to Sunday) are the hardest, and take forever. After that each day is long but weeks fly by... its true.

This last week was good. We went to the temple, which was so beautiful, and the spirit was so strong there. Thursday we did our weekly service hours. Udy Elder (Elder Udy in English) and I deep cleaned bathroom floors with an electric scrubber and a water vacuum, it was very cool!!

Me and my companion Udy Elder
Last Sunday I gave a talk in sacrament meeting in Hungarian ("Sacrament meeting" that's what we Mormons call the main congregational meeting we have on Sunday, we also have other meetings that are like Sunday school meetings.) My talk was about the Gift of the Holy Ghost, everyone with untrained ears said it was awesome, but that's because they don't speak Hungarian. That afternoon we had choir with Brother Eggett, we sang the hymn "Nearer My God to Thee." As we practiced He taught us about how the hymn connects to the story of Jacob from the Old Testament. He has a funny way of teaching.

That evening's devotional was with former NFL Player Chad Lewis. He talked about his mission, in Taiwan, and gave tips on how to be a good missionary from his experiences on his mission and from his NFL career.

Monday we started teaching our new investigator, named Anna. She is much more difficult to teach than Joli. We teach her 4 more times this weeks. I know it will be okay, but it makes me nervous. I'll tell you how it goes. 

Yesterday we had another devotional, this time with Patrick Kearon of the Presidency of the Seventy. He is cool and English (meaning from England). He taught about prayer, new beginnings through repentance, and understanding why we missionaries are on our missions. I really enjoyed it, I felt the spirit when he spoke. He gave a talk a few conferences ago, and I remember it was really good. [Read his talk here: Refuge From the Storm] We also saw the movie "Meet the Mormons 2" this last Sunday. 

Picture I took of the Inside of the Conference Center
So this coming General Conference there won't be a missionary choir, and it doesn't sound like they will be taking the missionaries to the conference center. I was hoping maybe I'd have the chance to sing at General Conference, oh well. For those of you who don't know, General Conference is a worldwide church conference that is held twice a year at the Conference Center on Temple Square in Salt Lake City, but broadcast around the world in dozens of languages. It's a spiritual feast of instruction from church leaders and the Prophet and the Twelve Apostles.

Well that's all folks! Today is my preparation day, that mean this is the day I get to do my chores, study, and go to the temple. Missionaries don't get "days off," but preparation day is the closest to it.

I love you all,
Elder Morgan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#11 Buda: The Nebraska Connection

#2 Pest: Lo Kolbász! (horse sausage)

#4 Nyíregyháza: Debrecen is a Cool City